You may have an exuberance of research, carried out using diverse topics and methods but the usual research summery has the same structure for almost all research papers. The idea research paper includes a title, abstract, introduction, methodology, results section, sometimes discussions and references. While preparing to commence your summary of research experience section try to find a good research paper summary template to use it as a skeleton while writing a summary of your own. First, you need to pin down a purpose of your summary. The summary usually draw conclusions of your paper and accentuates specific points highlighted in it.
The structure of a research paper:
- Results section
The essence of the summary and some tips on how to complete it.
- Make sure you know what your paper is about. You need to have a complete picture of the main points you described in the main part. If you are puzzled by the way your task is done, then it will be hard t make an informative summary which shows the adequacy and appropriateness of the research. With this in mind, reread your work or at least skim it quickly to remind yourself of the structure and essential parts.
- Each paragraph should have enough attention because you need to have a clear picture and even a table in your head. So, you have to know the thesis statement, research question and hypothesis for the research summary. Then, you probably tested your hypothesis which means you did some manipulations and used diverse techniques to either prove it or discard it. Methodology also plays a great role. Skim through main figures, statistics and tables which give credibility to your work. After that, find some interpretations of those statistics and table as well as of the whole experiments. Most part of the interpretations should be your.
- Make an in-depth reading. Proofreading is the best way to check whether your paper has any mistakes as well as make sure that your study make some contribution to the scientific community and helps resolve some issues connected to the subject matter you elaborated and studies.
- Make a skeleton of the conclusion by writing down all the main point you will include there. The draft will help you stick to the point without any evasive thoughts. Remember to: state the research question, hypothesis; enumerate your methodological approaches; use some examples/interpretations from literature sources but not too much; outline the results if the study and your personal contribution. Make an overall conclusion.
- Edit for style, completeness, mistakes in grammar, spelling, structure. Check the correlation of research summary and ethical considerations.You may also give it to your friend to look through your work and assess it. Sometimes when you are too engaged in the process you may not see the obvious mistakes and small flaws. You need a fresh look at your summary.
- Read some examples of other academic papers like comparative essay, research articles, research summary on resettled refugee integration in Canada (specific topics), research summary act, etc. Find some peculiarities about each of them. This way you will practice more.
Some typical mistakes
Some students do not take their assignment too seriously and that is why cause dozens of small mistakes that hamper them from getting a high grade. Among them we may name: spelling, grammatical and stylistic, mistakes; too much wordiness that encompasses "really", "exactly", "I would say..." etc; using direct quotes (try to paraphrase all the stuff you find in the literary sources. The instructor needs to see that you understand the topic and not just copy the words by other people).
May your writing be easy and informative and do not forget to use this list of helpful tips on how to write a research paper summary!